Let’s admit it, no human can feel happy 100% of the time. It’s also not normal to! We should feel an array of different emotions anything from feeling excited, nervous, silly to frustrated and angry. The importance is not to become overwhelmed and identified by any emotion. You may be feeling sad/anxious/frustrated right now, but that doesn’t define you!
That being said, there are somethings you start implementing TODAY to start improving your mood. All efforts add up, right?
- Getting a regular sleep routine is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Our bodies and brains NEED to recover. Think it as that vital reset button. When we are sleep deprived, we are more sensitive to negative emotions such as anxiety, stress, fear and anger. Grab a pillow!
- Get the blood pumping
- A 20-minute jog, a walk in the park or dancing to Taylor Swift in your bedroom. Whatever form of movement you enjoy. Exercise will help us to clear out that sluggish brain fog, improve memory and lift mood! Regular aerobic exercise (the type that gets your heart really pumping) have shown by research to remodel brain functioning.
- Eat the rainbow
- Research has shown that those who eat more whole food, plant-based diets have reduced incidence of depression. Eating fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants can dampen the detrimental effects of oxidative stress on mental health. The pigment found in tomatoes, one of the most powerful antioxidants!
- Take up a new hobby
- Challenge yourself to try something you’ve never done before. It could be painting, gardening, knitting. Nothing is out of limits. This life is to be enjoyed and explored. You never know what wonderful discoveries this decision can bring. Don’t be afraid to suck, as long as you’re having fun.
- We are more ‘social’ than ever online. However, this can mean our real-life human connections can suffer. Humans are social creatures; we need interaction to feel happy and purposeful. When you need a lift, call up a friend for a coffee or a walk in the park. Nothing beats face-to-face human connection.
- Do something for Nothing
- Whether is donating to charity, making a birthday card for a friend, or buying a homeless man a hearty dinner. We need these little acts of kindness to spread around. No act of kindness is too small. The effects will ripple and make the world a happier place.
- Smiling is one of the simplest and yet powerful ways to spread kindness and happiness to those around you. Humans tend to mirror other people’s facial expressions, so smiling really is contagious.